Network Drives and Home Directory
Metropolia network drives
The following network drives are available at Metropolia:
|P:||space for a project||project members R/W|
staff R/W, students R
(R=read, RW=read/write permission)
Common network drives
P: drive, working space for a project
S: drive (scratch), students, staff
- Open to everyone, anybody can create files for temporary storage e.g. while travelling between locations/classrooms or sharing files quickly.
- All files are open to anyone for reading.
- Content is also available using the shell.metropolia.fi server via the /scratch directory.
- Files are deleted automatically after 30 days after the file was saved.
- No backups are made as the scratch nature suggests.
T: drive, study supporting
- For sharing large materials which cannot be shared using Tuubi. E.g. large video files, tutorials and so on.
- Students read permission, staff write permission.
U: drive, staff internal drive
- Cluster / function specific folder hierarchy.
- The pub folder in the function root open to everyone.
- The priv folder in the function root open to only specific members of the function. The directory owner decides by making a service request who gets what permissions to a given directory.
- AS A RULE the OMA workspaces should be used for sharing files with others.
W: drive, for applications that boot from the network
- Only read writes for users.
- Used for installing applications that can be run directly from a network drive.
Z: drive, a private home drive
- Quota limits as follows:
- students 5 GB
- staff 5 GB
- The quota can be raised if good reasons are given. Please, make a service request at http://hd.metropolia.fi.
Your home drive
Each user's private home drive can be seen on workstations as the Z: drive, and on Linux servers as the home directory. It can also be remotely accessed via the portal as well as using the ssh/sftp application via the shell.metropolia.fi server.
The home drive quota is 1500 MB for students and 4000 MB for staff. You can check the size and the used space on a workstation in the home drive Properties view. In the
example below the quota is 500 MB and the space used is 400 KB:
On the shell server you can check your quota and used space by giving the command quota. In the example below the quota is 512000 (approximately 500 MB) and the space used is 403508 (approximately 400 MB):
Question: The Z drive does not show up after I have logged in with my user ID. What should I do?
Question: How do I access the network drives from home?